Thursday, February 01, 2007

Stink Bomb Update: Diaper Champ May Be Salvagable

Okay, I may have spoken too soon about the Diaper Champ being a hopeless stinking pile of plastic.

I was born with my foot in my mouth, so this is really no big surprise.


Upon Jasi's suggestion, I called the toll-free Baby Trend helpline today (1(800) 328-7363). A friendly associate took my contact information and they are sending me replacement gaskets.

Maybe this poo pail can be saved. It's a free call and the gaskets (yes, they are sending more than one!) are shipped free of charge, so there's really nothing to lose.

Thank you, Jasi!
And thank you, Baby Trend.

So for now, I'm holding my breath- waiting to see if the new gasket will work.

cc stock photo credit: PDR on Flickr

UPDATE 2/6/07
The gaskets have arrived. They sent 3, but it looks like they're all used at one time. Two of them are all foam, o-shaped, and appear to go alongside the handle and the third is the large foam one that sits around the stink hole.

I'll post pictures of our gasket swap-out, but for now the Champ is taking a bleach bath as recommended in the gasket instructions: "Step #3- This is a good time to wash the Diaper Champ with hot soapy water with a little bleach added for disinfection."

17 comments:

JL said...

So awesome! Can't wait to get my replacement filter. Go us!

Anonymous said...

But what do you do when the baby learns to work the one-handed flip motion? Mine thinks it's great fun to put toys, stuffed animals, etc. in the well in the top and then flip it over and watch them disappear. I have a feeling this is why we can't find any pacifiers. Or the cat.

Otherwise, I love the DC, but will keep this post tagged in case I need gaskets next month when ours turns 16 months.

Anonymous said...

Good for you! I'll be very interested to hear how this goes for you since we're on our second champ and expecting our second baby this month.

JL said...

About to receive my gaskets. Please tell me how you plan to sanitize this beast?

adrienne said...

Our Champ is back in operation. I hope to post the gasket changing pictures soon.

Grandma recommended soaking the pail in baking soda water for a day to both deodorize and sanitize.

After that it was washed in water with bleach and it smelled fresh as a daisy when we put it back together on Sunday.

The results? Soon to be posted...

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this on the parent hacks website. I called and mine are on the way!

Laura said...

I'm so delighted with this news. Just called, and the gaskets are on their way.

Thank you.
Thank you.
Thank you.

Anonymous said...

you guys are the best.. great info

Anonymous said...

It has taken me four or five times to call Baby Trend (sporadically making attempts over the last 8 months since baby #3 was born), but finally I got a live operator and a promise that new gaskets are on the way to our home, too! HOORAY! So glad for your shared experience on your blog!

Kirsten said...

I'm SO glad I stumbled on this post (great site, by the way, I have you bookmarked now)! We were wondering why the Diaper Champ wasn't as odor-free as it used to be!

FYI, I called Baby Trend, and they will also send gaskets to Canada, free of charge.

adrienne said...

skylarkd:

Thanks for the update on Canada!

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the information. The person I spoke to was the most efficient customer service person I have ever spoken to and my gaskets are in the mail.

Anonymous said...

FYI, I called the company to ask for a replacement gasket, but they no longer carry them for the 4100 model.

Anonymous said...

I just got off the phone with them and they wouldn't give me any gaskets, either.

Skew said...

I'd like to get replacement gaskets, but the sticker with the serial and model numbers and manufacturer date are gone. I'd still like to try and get the replacement gaskets, if someone would be kind enough send me their numbers I would be very appreciative. I can't post a link the picture, but if you search bing images for "baby trends diaper champ sears", it's the first non-deluxe one. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Its July 2011 and I purchased seals for the 4100 model for $15 including shipping. It was an easy fix, and it showed me how to clean out the interior of the tumbler I will post a follow up in one week to say if it was worth the $15. Could some of you others who have replaced your seals and cleaned the tumblers post your follow up thoughts too.

Fairley said...

I just called for the diaper champ deluxe and got two gaskets with. Shipping for $14.95. Will be here in 7-14 days. After cleaning the entire unit and giving it a few days off, the only stench remains in the old gasket which I soaked in several different solutions that didn't put a dent in that odor!