Wednesday, November 02, 2011

Orbiting Jupiter

Dear friends,

You may think our previous "back on track" post was some sick tease, but two days later I stood holding the baby's hand while a CT scanner roved round and round her head. By the end of that week, she and I were talking to the director of pediatric neurosurgery (okay, the baby mostly listened).

Now we're waiting for a more complete, full-sedation-required, 3D CT and its analysis by a brain surgeon and a plastic surgeon.

That has mostly taken the wind out of our sails.

Yet we are trying to live with mindfulness and intentionality. Time with our daughter has greater significance, time with all three of our kids does. In this strange waiting period, we are keenly aware that time with family passes at the same (too fast) rate even during anxiety or crisis.

Shortly after all this happened, we went to a local observatory (built with a barn silo dome) and peered all the way to Jupiter and saw her icy moons.

Jupiter 22 October, 2011
Jupiter, October 22, 2011. photo credit: Peter Riesett, (LordJumper) via Flickr and Creative Commons. (Thanks for sharing!)

Before Ranger's obsession with space, I couldn't stand to think of the universe's enormity. Now, I'm grateful for the awareness (from our vantage point atop the shoulders of giants). We are markedly different than most of the known universe, and we have the remarkable tools to explore it. Even kids who can't tie their shoes can see more clearly than many master astronomers of past generations.

I'm trying to look at our medical unknowns in the same light. Not to fear the vastness, but to find the wonder, opportunity, and miracles in what unfamiliar territory teaches about our present position.


***Baby Toolkit is the chronicle of two Midwestern geeks encountering the vast and varied realm of parenting.

10 comments:

h said...

Thinking of you all. This is beautifully written. Funny how passionate kids can be about things we took for granted before.

Chief Family Officer said...

Oh man, I didn't realize what you're going through right now. Your grace shines in this post, and I'm praying for good news at the end of the tunnel!

Melissa said...

What a beautiful post. My heart aches for you and your family and you will be in my prayers. Keep up the positive attitude and please let me know if there is ever anything I can do to help you out in any way. I really mean that! Take care of yourself and love on your sweet kiddos!
Melissa Chaffin

indywriter said...

I'm so sorry to hear all that you've been going through. I hope the little one is okay.

It's been so long since we've talked. Obviously a lot has happened. I hope we can touch base sometime, but until then you and your family are in my prayers.

Wiley said...

Definitely know the sensation of having "back on track" pulled away from you by medicos. Between a stillborn daughter, her twin born at 30 weeks, his GI issues and some unexplained blood issues, I've felt like this the last year to.

But that's not why I was commenting actually. I was wondering if you had any particular recommendations from Ranger's space obsession? Our 4-year-old has been on one of his own for about the last half-year or so and would love more resources.

Good thoughts towards the medical front and the entire family. I really do love when people are able to see the flipside and what they have gained through going through adversity (that mindfulness and intentionality in your case)

adrienne said...

Hey Wiley,

I'm long overdue for a post on this, but the hands-down best space picture book I've found is Brian Floca's Moonshot

He loves videos like The Pluto Files and Nova specials. There are quite a few excellent books (one in particular taught me basic astronomy while we read it together). I'll try and move this up in our blogging queue.

As for activities, we're joining the local astronomy society and going to their local viewings.

adrienne said...

local viewings was meant to be public viewings/star watches.

Sorry. My brain is mostly offline today.

Wiley said...

We have moonshot and it's a great favorite. He particularly likes that it's "real". We have a few general astronomy books, but oddly his favorites are one from 1986 published around hailey's comet and a golden book of astronomy from the 1950s! These are interesting to say the least.

Jeremiah McNichols said...

A beautiful post. Thanks for sharing your reflections on a challenging time. It's blogging's best defense.

Asha Dornfest {Parent Hacks} said...

Reading this far too late. I so hope with all of my heart that by now you have gotten some news. You are two beautiful parents with three beautiful children, and my heart is with you.